Monday, February 8, 2010

Carter ROCKS!!

I'll just add a few thoughts to Michelle's post below. Carter really got a kick in the butt by life this last weekend. More like a kick in the butt followed by a pile driver followed by a kick in the balls. That's how it felt to me, anyway. But I couldn't imagine any person taking this whole thing with a better attitude than Carter. After the IVs came out, Carter was elated. When he heard there would be more shots, he was pretty crushed. But after the first insulin shot, the whole thing hasn't bothered him in the least. Half a dozen times a day he hands over a finger for a prick and blood test with a smile. He casually and again with a smile accepts each insulin shot.

The first time I cried over this whole situation was with a broken heart at what he would have to deal with his whole life. The last time was thinking about his invincible positivity, courage and adaptability.

It was also amazing to see the concern that Jake, Bella and Carter have shown. They can fight and annoy each other with the best of brothers, but Jake has probably been as stressed about this situation as anyone, and has been particularly relieved that Carter is okay. It's been wonderful to see how much they really love each other.

3 comments:

j-liz said...

Though I have been thinking about you guys often over the past few days I just now got around to reading the blog. I am really grateful right now to have a door and blinds so that I can just cry it out in my office for a few.

From Michelle's inspiration to Jake's generosity and concern I was just about to lose it. Then I read Rick's follow-up post and as a father, just couldn't hold it in. I really wish we were closer to you guys. You are such a great example on so many levels. Please give Carter my best. He's such a great kid. I've always had a special place for him.

Alright, I need to pull it together so that I can walk out of my office with some dignity.

Dee Lisonbee said...

What a way with words. I too have had a heavy heart as I thought of all the shots and blood sugar testing but as the nana it is ok for me to cry. I am so grateful for the medical miracles that will allow him to eat normally and live long and healthy with the administration of insulin his life will require more responsibility and a good attitude and he certainly has that. What a blessing that he is brought up in a home where his family loves him and cares so much what he feels. You guys have done amazing in raising your children and I am grateful every day that the Gospel is a part of your lives. The tender mercies that kept him alive and well through the inspiration of his mom are not lost on me - the Spirit truly saved his life and will keep him safe as he learns how to care for himself. I can tell you that the shots and blood testing are only an inconvenience which allow me to lead a normal life and I hope he sees it that way too. I wish we were a lot closer I miss you guys a lot.

Dale said...

I couldn't think of a subset of our family more prepared for this than you and Michelle. You guys eat more healthy than any of the rest of us. I can't help but think the desire to start that years ago was preparation for this. Hang in there.

Rick, Justin has a picture he can send you that pretty much describes the WWF scenario you described. He sent it to me in a moment of need.