Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Why I have a job...

About an hour into nursing school, we were informed that the market was flooded with nurses and new grads would have a difficult time finding a job. This was pounded into our heads from day one. By the start of second semester, I decided maybe it was time I started looking for a job...so I could have a foot in the door. I briefly looked, but nothing came of it. I became concerned. I started praying. And I decided to start fasting. I fasted every Sunday for over a year. After a lot of thought and prayer, I decided that a job was not right for me, but maybe volunteering was. So, I applied at four different hospitals. One hospital was extremely rude and I decided I'd rather die than work there. There were no openings at another hospital and one other wouldn't return my call. I finally had some luck with Community Regional Medical Center. I started volunteering basically taking discharged patients from their hospital room to their vehicles and running labs and stuff back and forth. It was pretty dull. I didnt' feel like I was making any progress towards getting an in. And then, there was a new opportunity opening for "cuddlers" in the NICU. I signed up! I interviewed and got a position (volunteer) and started doing that job. It was hard. Nurses were not very cool about letting us hold their babies. But there were a few who were receptive. Whenever I got a nurse who would let me hold her baby, I made conversation and let them know I was a nursing student. After several months, I got tired of not being able to hold babies very often. Then, a nurse stopped me in the hallway, asked if I was Michelle Edwardson, and if a particular supervisor had found me yet. I was sure she was mistaken. I left the supervisor a note and gave her my contact information. I heard nothing from her, so I made an appointment with the Director. My intention was to get her to talk to the nurses and let us hold the babies! However, when I walked in her office, I heard myself say..."I want a job. How do I go about getting one?" She offered to create an extern position for me, which she did. Unfortunately, it didn't work out since my school didn't have a contract with that hospital. I was very discouraged...very discouraged. But, I kept volunteering. Meanwhile, a very coveted position came up at Kaweah Delta Hospital as a student nurse intern. I knew it was an opportunity to get in the door. I did NOT want to work at Kaweah Delta, mainly because they start at 6:00 AM and I live an hour away. Not cool! Getting up at 3:45 in the morning for school clinicals twice a week AND working as an intern would have been VERY difficult. However, I had an in! The position was in a unit where a former instructor of mine worked and she offered to give me a recommendation! So, I applied and got an interview. I prepared A LOT for the interview. I knew all the answers to all the questions they could ask. And when I went for the interview, I CHOKED! Really choked! Like I've never choked before! What the...? In the end, I was sad that I didn't get the job because my interview SUCKED! However, I was RELIEVED not to have to drive down there an extra day or two every week because I knew my family would have taken the brunt of that deal...and it wouldn't have been pretty. Fast forward to graduation. I graduated! And I took the boards three days later. I made an appointment with the Director of the NICU the day after I took my boards. I made the appointment and planned on asking how to get a job there. However, when I was greeted by the Director, she basically sent me to the nurse supervisors. They explained the terms of the job to me and I had a job! Just like that! No interview. No stress. Just a job. Five days after graduation. Unheard of. Blessed. It was no accident things happened as they did. It was no accident that I started volunteering at this particular hospital. It was no accident that they created the NICU cuddler program when they did. And it was no accident that I befriended the nurses that would eventually ask the supervisors to hire me. Heavenly Father cleared a path for me...right where I needed to be. When I went to nursing school, pediatrics was of interest to me as was labor and delivery. But NICU is where I belong. It's where I fit. I feel so blessed to have been directed along this path and given such a huge blessing of a job in a really difficult economy for nurses. Fasting works. And Heavenly Father has a plan for us. Whether we know it or not, he does. We're really just along for the ride. Now if only I could relax along the ride...life would be a lot more pleasant!

2 comments:

The Queen said...

That is awesome! And I'm so sorry you are having to work nights. But you're right, you can do hard things!! It was so good to see you last weekend. Miss you!!

Ginger said...

Congratulations on your job! It is so great to see the Lord's hand in your job search. Here's hoping you don't have to work nights too much longer!