Monday, June 27, 2011

Living The Highlife


That's what we do when Michelle leaves us for the weekend - live the highlife by eating those great foods that Michelle would absolutely hate. On Saturday, with Michelle in Valencia, we tried this dish I saw featured on Man vs. Food (a show the kids are addicted to btw; better than Wizards of Whatever Losers!!). And it was GOOD. Take a good quality all beef hot dog, split it down the middle with the casing in tact on the back side; grill both sides in butter; add Swiss cheese while grilling to get nice and melty; grill the hot dog bun in butter (like grilled cheese sandwich); spread strawberry jam on the bun, and enjoy. Sounds weird, but the salty with sweet is really good. Even Malia ate and loved it, and she's our pickiest eater. Give it a try, if you like good "man food" as Michelle calls it. Then on Sunday for lunch we had hot links heaped with deliciously caramelized onions. Yummy (though I'm a little hot dog'd out for a few a while).

3 comments:

Lisa said...

That sounds gross, but I would try it since everything is fried in butter!! I read the post to Matt and he asked if this was posted to your blog or the recipe blog. I'm sure it's a recipe the Lisonbee ladies would never want to forget!

Tamara said...

Is it me or does it sound a little like the Monte Cristo sandwich at Disneyland? That's yummy, right? I have a feeling this is one of those foods that you feel like you should say is gross because you're ashamed to say that you secretly liked it. I'm with Lisa. If it's fried in butter, it's gonna taste good...

Carrie L said...

Rick, you amaze me. I had no idea that gourmet cooking was one of your many talents as well!