Sunday, July 17, 2011

5 days post-op thoughts...

So, I did it. It's done. I am sterile...and happy about it. The day of surgery, we went to Wild Waters to play until I had to leave. Since I couldn't eat or drink, I was a tad thirsty...the idea definitely crossed my mind to just "stick out my tongue" as I walked by the waterfalls everywhere and lap up some of that chlorine goodness...but I refrained (mostly because someone was with me all the time - they might've thought that was gross or something). Surgery was delayed (surprise surprise). The anesthesiologist was like 15, at best. Mom and Rick asked a million questions that I did not think to ask. When they finally took me into surgery, the anesthesiologist started talking to me about Valencia and then I felt "it." I said, "Hey, you drugged me already..." and drifted off to never neverland. I was unhappily woken up too soon by a nurse. I remember eating a cube of red jell-o so I could have some more pain meds but that's about it. I woke up in my hospital gown with a catheter in, at home, in bed. Huh? I remember waking rick up asking for more pain meds and that's about it...til the following day.

Mercifully, friends took my kids the next day so I didn't do much but lay around. At one point, we called the doctor to get different pain meds because I thought my abdomen was on fire...but the rest of the week passed in more or less routine stuff...made it to Bella's performance on Friday, went to Costco and the grocery store on Saturday, same old, same old.

Here's what I learned about having surgery:

1. Get rid of the children! If they're here, they're on me, or hugging me, or stroking my head and being entirely sweet and nurturing and letting me get absolutely zero rest.

2. Invite Nana. She is a great chauffeur. She fills the cupboards with all sorts of goodness (gluten-free and otherwise), she's great company, she'll watch chick flicks, she'll get you good pain meds, and she'll help you take your catheter out. TMI??

3. Hospital gowns are even less attractive in your full length mirror at home.

4. Vacuum before surgery. For some reason, you're not supposed to do it after...and let's just say, it shows.

5. Get moving. No time like the present. Might as well just suck it up and go for it...it doesn't get any easier if you wait.

6. You get to keep parting gifts! For me, it was a catheter, a hospital gown, and some lovely pictures of my "innards!" Who knew? And who wants to see my pics?

And 7. Drugs are good. Very good.

So...who's next? Matty. Hope this advice is helpful.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

So, here's what I got out of this post...Matt will be vacuuming the whole house before next Monday....?

Right?

HAHAhahahaa.

Oh Michelle, I'm glad everything went fine and it's over. I didn't know that you would have to have a catheter at home. gross. But I guess you must be becoming very familiar with that type of stuff!

Tamara said...

Ewww. I mean Yay for you and all but eww. A lot.

Matty said...

Well tomorrow is the big day. I have gone down your checklist and I think I should be ready. Luckily for me I am not going to need a catheter. But I do have the awesomest knee brace you have ever seen. I am looking forward to the chick flicks...if you consider "Dual Survival" to be a chick flick. Anyone that hasn't seen an episode definitely should look into it. My brother in law her tells me I was pretty hilarious when I was all drugged up for my wisdom teeth a few years back so I know he is looking forward to my drugged up state at least as much as I am.