Monday, August 16, 2010

Now Accepting Recommendations for Mid-Life Crisis Marathon Playlist

What's with men having their midlife crises in their 50s?  Are they really so deluded as to think that they'll live to 100?  I'm fully aware that I won't live anywhere near that long, given the current quality of my memory (Michelle can tell you I'm lucky to remember what I had for breakfast any given day). I'm sure that sometime around age 70 I'll forget who and where I am, piss my pants, slip in it and crack my head open and die. Given that likely scenario, I figure I might as well go ahead and have my midlife crisis now, while I still have the energy to do something good with it. 

Men in midlife crisis mode are usually trying to feel younger. Mess around with a younger woman, get a sports car, wear a toupee. I don't have the the money or inclination to do either of the first two, and the third only makes you look like a loser, which to me defeats the whole purpose of having a midlife crisis. So I'm going to focus on ways of physically feeling younger. It's easy to start feeling old, even if you're not that advanced in years, especially after you pass 30. You get lazy, spend too long at the desk, put on some weight, add on to the love handles, trot down a flight of stairs one day and say to yourself, "that never used to jiggle." Been there, done that. 

So for my midlife crisis I'm going to run a marathon - the whole 26.2. I figure, what better way to feel younger than to get in better shape than I've ever been in life? 

Now to the purpose of this post. I have never been a big music listener, so I can use some help putting together a playlist for my iPod to listen to during the marathon. (Eye of the Tiger begins to lose its beneficial impact after about the 8th repetition.)  So give me your suggestions, your favorite workout songs (or what you imagine would be your favorite workout songs if you were to ever get to the gym). Something uptempo to help keep a good pace, and that will inspire and keep that adrenaline pumping!!

9 comments:

Kristin said...

Courtney burned a bunch of CDs for me before she left on her mission- I'll look through them and if I think they are any good for marathons (like she'd know anything about running) then maybe I'll send u some of them. I honestly haven't even listened to them yet- because my work out starts tomorrow.

Off hand, I'd recommend Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, almost anything from the 80's because that always gets me pumped! Gwen Steffani also has a pretty good selection of uptempo songs.

jennifer said...

my exercise favorites:

single ladies - beyonce
pump it - black eyed peas
i gotta feeling - black eyed peas
i like to move it - will.i.am
don't stop believin' - glee version
the distance - cake
holiday - green day
since you've been gone - kelly clarkson
my life would suck without you - glee

Stephen Fairbanks II said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen Fairbanks II said...

Now don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the music that has been suggested so far, but please...manly(?)pump me up marathon music???? So far if you listen to any of this during your run your balls will fall off half-way thru the race.

Here is a Manly pump-you-up playlist:

Breadfan by Budgie
(or the Metallica cover)
The Wait by Killing Joke
(or the Metallica cover).
Sabaton:
--Into the fire
--Counterstrike
--40:1 (40 to 1)
Linkin Park is good
--High Voltage (Live London version
--Bleed it Out
--Given Up
--Crawling
--New Divide
--What Ive done
Megadeth is classic....
--Kill the king
--Of Mice and Men
--Symphony of Destruction
--Disintegrator
--Trust
--Angry Again
--Dread and Fugitive Mind
--and many many more
Lacuna Coil
--Heavens a Lie
--Self-Deception
--When a Dead Man Walks
Korn
--Word Up
--Twisted Transistor
Iron Maiden
--Be Quick or Be Dead
--Wasted Years
--The Trooper
--2 minutes to Midnight
Disturbed
--Land of Confusion
--10000 Fists
--Indestructible
Metallica
--Master of Puppets
--Ride the Lightning
--Fuel
--King Nothing
--Four Horsemen
--Seek and Destroy
Guns and Roses(not my favorite)
--Night Train

I could keep going on (anything by AC/DC really). But some of these suggestions are songs that have the pumped up angry conquer the world feeling and others just have a good high energy pacing beat for a long workout...enjoy!!

Quashing your estrogen levels,
-Stephen

Rickterscale said...

Thanks a lot, Stephen, for ruining my excuse to finally download some Britney Spears. You ruined my week!! Time to go cry into my hankie now.

Stephen Fairbanks II said...

When your hormones settle down and you can stop crying and think rationally, you'll thank me! ;)

PS: In all seriousness, good luck on the marathan training.

Tamara said...

I agree that you can pretty much count on most Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga songs to have enough bpm to run to.

Back in my day before I was an orca, I loved U2's "Elevation" and "Sunday Blood Sunday" to run to. My favorite cuts of both are live versions becase the seem to be a little faster. I also seem to recall some Beastie Boys on my playlist.

Katie L. said...

I also love running to U2, "Sunday bloody Sunday" is one of my faves and "pride" is a good one. Actually, I'm not too picky when it comes to workout music. I try to avoid Enya but even more mellow stuff helps me relax and distracts me so I just make playlists of anything I really like. Music you like to hear on the radio. Happy running!

Lisa P said...

Fleetwood Mask Tusk, especially live