Thursday, July 23, 2009

Conversation with the grocer.

At the grocery store the other day, I was looking for tofu. It's a different store than I normally go to so I couldn't find it. So, I ask the grocer and he says, "Oh, yeah, it's over there by the vegetables." "thank you," I reply. Then he continued, "you know, it's not really food, so it's not kept where the food is..."
Uh, okay. Right. Tofu is not food, so it's kept where the vegetables are (which also apparently are not food). Got it. At least I know where to find it now.

4 comments:

Ginger said...

Oh goodness. I hope you schooled him. That is a really sad commentary on society today.

j-liz said...

I'm going to have to agree with the guy. Tofu is not food. In fact, I wouldn't even classify it as edible.
I hope that the only reason you were looking for it was to play a mean joke on someone.

Dale said...

Have you guys ever seen the Everybody Loves Raymond episode where they have a Tofu Turkey at Thanksgiving. It was awesome. I think Raymond says something like, "It kind of starts out with an aftertaste." Then Robert puts a bite in his mount, gets big-eyed and has to slap himself on the back to get it down. Reminds me of how I had to eat liver (when Tuffy wasn't available to take care of it for me).

Tamara said...

It's called "tofurkey" Dale. Jeez. You are so un-hip.

And while I wouldn't sub it in for my normal (bacon wrapped) thanksgiving fare, i fully heart tofu. In pad thai, curry dishes, fried rice. MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm. What are you using it in, Michelle?