Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving Break...

I'm getting smarter...I've learned my kids function much better with structure. So, I planned things for Thanksgiving break. I had one craft for each day, one outdoor activity and mandatory normal bedtimes. It has left me sane after a week of the kids being home! We did some fun crafts - we made oreo turkeys, decorated t-shirts with bleach pens, painted wooden letters, and painted cans for a totem pole. For our outdoor activities, we went to the park, or just played outside on the trampoline (beautiful weather!) or played in the street. Carter could kick a soccer ball back and forth to me for HOURS and Jake was practicing basketball and the girls played on their bikes or hung out with the neighbor kids. And, bedtime was MANDATORY with the exception of Thanksgiving. The kids went to bed late but Carter didn't get up til 8:30 and Malia didn't get up til 9:45 (that's my girl). The other activity we did every day is reading outloud from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. The boys both wanted to read it to get AR points at school, so we decided to do it together over vacation. It has been a great read. I think we will do another one over christmas.

Anyway, that's how I survived Thanksgiving break with no diet coke. It is truly a miracle...and they go back to school on Monday so I can finish up my Christmas shopping and get ready for the holiday season. I plan to do what I did last year...the bare minimum. Meaning...I won't volunteer for everything and I will take time to enjoy the season and my children. This will be one of our first Christmases ever spent in our own home so I'm determined to make it memorable for them and THAT takes planning!

No comments: