Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturday with the scouts...

Seeing as my new calling is Den Leader of 13 very active boys...soon to be 20 (by the end of the summer), I thought it would be wise to attend a conference that our local council put on today. It was all day and I learned something...life long scouters are NUTS!!! They are seriously so into it. It is very funny to watch. It was actually a little overwelming to watch. People doing all these crazy skits and songs and stuff. I did take away something very valuable...I learned how to make an "exploding Ninja" out of popsicle sticks with no glue or anything...just popscicle sticks. What kid doesn't like something with the word "exploding" in the title. You make it, then throw it against the wall and it explodes. Then, you make it all over again. See? Hours of fun. I learned how to make lots of crafts that can be made with stuff around the house which is good because my kids are always looking for something to make. And...I did get a whole Saturday without the kids. Not something I'm going to do every Satuday, but once a year is good...

6 comments:

OlsenFam said...

So it's your turn! I feel sorry for you- 13-20 kids- you need some serious help-good luck! I hope you have fun. Dionne is the new Bear leader for V2. I moved out of V2 so I wouldn't have to do the scout calling anymore. (well that was definitely on the list of reasons we should move) Jake just finished his bear. he should get it whenever the next pack mtg is.

The Queen said...

oh my. that's a lot of kids.

when i posted about james going to scout camp last summer someone mentioned how scouts always has skits. i think it's hilarious that the adults do it too!

just watch it, though, or we might find ourselves doing an intervention on your behalf.

Tamara said...

Dude, you should talk to Adam about that. He has to do the varsity scout stuff with the priests and seriously, the stories he comes home with after those scout leadership meeting walk a fine line between hilarious and absurd. Good luck to you.

And can I get a video demo of the exploding ninja? Sounds like FHE fun for the whole family. :)

Evie said...

I'm so glad you are the leader! I know my son is in excellent hands! You are a brave little soldier, or ninja?

Lisa P said...

oh yeah, overgrown men in shorty-shorts...you gotta love the lifers.

Dee Lisonbee said...

So Michelle, what sort of items am I to begin saving for your projects?? popsicle sticks, string, buttons, ice picks, bunji cords???Give me some idea because I cant think of a more fun project.