Monday, January 26, 2009

Watch your back!

So, a few weeks ago, the bishop mentioned in PEC that at ward conference the stake president would be calling on people to share their testimony - without prior notice. Yesterday morning in PEC, the bishop reminded us of that but also indicated they probably would not be calling on leadership so that we shouldn't have anything to worry about. Whew!

Fast forward to Sacrament meeting. After the sacrament portion of the meeting was over, I took Brittany and Brooke to the bathroom because they had to go. That took about 5 minutes or so. When I got back, two sisters from another ward who were there in their capacity with the stake leaned forward and asked, "Did you hear them call your name?" Yeah right! I looked back and told them that I didn't, sure that they were joking. They assured me they were not joking. I then turned as the Relief Society President, seated in front of me, corroborated their story.

The impromptu youth speaker then walked to the stand. As he was speaking, I looked over at the bishop, who was himself wondering if I had heard. I made the mistake of smiling. In response he and the stake president both laughed like "Gotcha!"

I'm not usually afraid of public speaking assignments, but must admit this one caught me a little off-guard. My heart was beating a little faster than normal. But, I got over that with my usual technique - flexing on the stand. I almost busted my jacket. Luckily, it wasn't buttoned!

So, word to the wise, don't turn your back on the person calling impromptu speakers, despite assurances you would be spared!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I had a very similar experience on my mission. Only, I didn't speak Spanish and I was outside with an investigator's baby when my companion came and found me to tell me it was my turn. Talk about intimidating...So, at least you spoke the language!!!

j-liz said...

I have never been a fan of those. President Halliday called on me in Stake Conference when I was 15. I had never spoken in a meeting that size. I'm pretty sure I said something thing like, "I don't what to say but, you should all write my brother a letter on his mission. He would enjoy hearing from you, amen"

Tamara said...

That's funny. I gave that same talk at Stake Conference when I was 15. Why oh why do they do this to us? Pathetic!

Dee Lisonbee said...

Dale, one thing to keep in mind is that if it had been Carter you had taken to the bathroom you would in no way have been back to speak, or probably even to fold up chairs - I'm sure Michelle will agree.