Saturday, February 14, 2009

Friday the 13th, part II

Okay, so who knew that Friday the 13th lasted for two days. Well IT DOES ALREADY! So, yesterday, I went to work hoping I might actually get to spend some time with the kids on the weekend. The economy is in the dump. The first month of the year was abysmal with billable hours. But, it didn't stop a client from repeatedly sending something to me on a Friday and imposing a ridiculous turnaround time that meant working on the weekend. So I sit around all week not working. Then, when I would like to not be working, I get to work.

Well, last week I gave the lesson on responding positively to adversity. (Note to self: Never do that again the week of Friday the 13th.)

So, Friday we think we may have actually made it through the day without another email from that client. Just as I am getting ready to pack up, I get an email around 6:30. Oh yeah. It is from that client. It said, please review this 60 page document and provide your comments by Tuesday at noon. No big deal, right. WRONG! See Saturday is Valentine's Day. So, of course I have big plans.... Okay fine, so what. That's not the point. I shouldn't have to spend the day working. Monday is a holiday. Oh wait, lawyers don't get those holidays off. They don't have to be at work, but then again they do.

So, Saturday, I spend the day working. I was reading Indentures. For those of you that don't know, that is translated: "Extremely long heinous document drafted because people loan money and don't pay it back so to stop them from doing that or really stick it to them when we think they might get the big idea of doing that we will put together about as many complicated annoying phrases and covenants that nobody understands or much less complies with." So, I was having some fun.

Though it may be hard to believe, I managed to tear myself away from the Indentures to give the kids lunch. As I was walking back into purgatory (I mean the home office), I opened the front door to get the mail. I saw a letter from my mortgage company. I was excited because when I called to make my phone payment last month they said that I was ahead, didn't owe anything until March (and even then only part of a payment) and had finished my debt repayment plan (which I started courtesy of my disastrous job in Utah). So, I gleefully opened the envelope only to hear that I had breached my payment plan and seeing nice threatening words about what they will do if I don't pay. I'll tell them what they will do! If I am ahead, then how did I breach. Which way is it?

So, later in the evening, I finally emerge from purgatory. (By this time my eyes are spiraling like a Loony Toons cartoon character.) So, I get the kids some dinner and get in the shower. After getting dressed, I walked out to the car to put the carseats in. I picked up some of the clothes in the trunk and started to walk back in. As I did, I dropped some of the clothes I was carrying in the gutter, which had water.

So, I got over that (which is obvious by the fact that I am blogging about it), and had the kids finish dinner. Then, we went out. I stopped at the gas station. At the gas station, I was doing this thing with my left hand where I wiggle the ring finger as if I am going to smack the kids with it. Wouldn't you know it, but my ring fell off. So, I have to look under the car to find the stupid thing and put it on. Rich in irony.

Then we go grocery shopping and get back home. After we got home and I put the kids to bed, I pulled out the Panda Express I had bought for my treat for the night and heated it up. I sat down on the couch and dropped a packet of soy sauce between the couch and the toy box. So, I picked that up and then started to eat. I finished eating and eagerly opened my fortune cookie. But, as I opened it, I noticed something strange. NO FORTUNE! Are you kidding me!!! I have never in my life heard of a fortune cookie without a fortune!!!

Folks that pretty much sums up my Friday the 13th. An empty fortune cookie.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Dale...that was a highly amusing post...I'm laughing with you, not at you, of course. Um, for my real response, see my response to Kristin's crappy Friday the 13th...
Here's to you kid...

Dale said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the money they told me I didn't have to pay for the mortgage, I spent it on other obligations that I was feeling so excited about taking care of. Little did I know.

And I also forgot to mention that one of the items of clothes I brought in from the car was a brand new white dress shirt that I got a real deal on. As I opened it, I found FRENCH CUFFS. Seriously? What kind of a hoity toity nancy ...

Don't answer that.

Okay. NOW, I think I'm done. (Assuming the next 33 minutes of this 48 hour Friday the 13th don't hold anything else in store for me)

Dale said...

And while I'm at it again, may I mention that I took the kids to get ice cream. As we pulled up to their favorite ice cream store, it was CLOSED!!! It was only 8:00 at night and the hours sign said they close at 9. It was a ghost town, making me think they may be going out of business.

OK, now I think I am really done.

Michelle said...

Is that all you've got Dale? I mean really??? I'm sure you could add something else...

j-liz said...

That is brutal!

Good news: 2/13/09 is in the books.

Bad News: 3/13/09 is just around the corner.

By the way, I'm busy that day and can't hang out.