Wednesday, March 18, 2009

4th Grade Field Trip


Yesterday, we boarded the buses at 6:15 AM to go to Sacramento for an all day field trip. The first "jaunt" was a couple hours and then we stopped at a rest stop. That was the LONGEST ride of my life. I was sitting in front of an obnoxious child who kept holding onto my seat and leaning forward. Nine times out of ten when she did so, she grabbed my head or hit me in the face as she leaned forward. After about 10 times, I asked her to please stop hitting me in the face. She didn't even apologize when she KEPT DOING IT! Did she not feel my head under her hands or WHAT? You people know I am NOT a morning person. This was not my idea of a good time at 6:00 in the morning (not to mention I had been up since 4:00 AM) Anyhow, I switched seats with Jake (hee hee) for the next leg and she didn't hit him in the face. She just put her head in between mine and Jake's seats. Every time I turned my head, there was this FACE right there. Annoying.

Once we got to Sacramento, we went to a train museum. The kids zoomed through the museum so they could go to Old Town...where they bought nothing but CANDY. Like we need a bunch of sugared up kids for the rest of the day. Anyway, that was my favorite part because Matty, Lisa, and Sara came down to join us for a little while. The visit was way too short (like 20 minutes or something) but it was so fun to see them. Sara is as cute as ever and showed us all kinds of new tricks she has.

After we boarded the bus again, we went to Sutter's Fort and had lunch. It was very relaxing. It was a beautiful day. We got a self-guided tour of the fort after that which was interesting. There were other school kids wandering around dressed as pioneers doing tasks from that period in history like churning butter, baking bread, making candles, etc.

Since my group was all boys, they like the "good stuff." AKA Weapons! They found this line up of rifles and thought they were in heaven. One group told our kids they had seen blood splattered on the wall somewhere so we had to run right over and check that out.

All in all, it was a very long day, but the kids, were so well-behaved (with the exception of the seat hitter girl). Luckily, we got bumped out of our seat after the initial two legs and had to move. As luck would have it, our friend Rob (the principal) had the pleasure of riding in front of that girl ALL THE WAY HOME! The kids were definitely sugared up, but I was generally impressed with how nice they were to each other. They shared their loot and chatted all the way home. There was no sleeping on that bus...unfortunately. I enjoyed watching Jake interact with his friends and his teacher. He is definitely a different kid in his own environment. He is very chatty. He has friends that are boys and girls and he seems to generally enjoy himself. It is nice that he is still in the phase where he likes me to be with him. He also had fun with our camera taking pictures of whatever he wanted to remember from the day. By the time we got home, I was exhausted and so was he. No complaints when I put them to bed and then headed for bed myself. Oh, and one final note...Thank heaven for iPods! They seriously rock! I listened to an entire book yesterday!

1 comment:

Carrie L said...

Wow, that sounded like the field trips of all field trips! Thank goodness you survived (or maybe I should say the kids survived).