Monday, May 18, 2009

You know you're getting old when ...

On Friday night, I got home and decided I was going to trim the shrubs at my house. As any good dad does, I made the kids come out with me and help. I had them pick up stuff after I cut. Brandon, who is a chip off the old block, spent a good portion of the time standing around remarking how exhausted he was. All in all, we were out there for probably less than two hours. The time was cut short by darkness. I cut enough to fill up our trash can with trimmings. Unfortunately there is still 2/3 of the front yard still to be trimmed.

The next day, my forearms hurt so bad I thought I was going to develop muscles the size of Popeye's within a week.

So, why did this caption start out with you know you're getting old when ...?

Because I got that sore using an ELECTRIC trimmer! The only exertion required was to hold it in position and let it do the work. What a Nancy!

5 comments:

The Queen said...

That was hilarious. Thanks for sharing, Nancy.

Michelle said...

We must've been on the same wavelength. I tortured my kids on Saturday too...planting flowers in the front yard iin 106 degree weather. Why did we choose Saturday to do it? Probably because that is just old fashioned Lisonbee fun...aka sheer torture. I did give the kids a five minute break to ride their bikes and get a drink. But, unlike you, I am NOT getting old...no soreness here...

j-liz said...

My yard work is mostly done alone. I think I like the fact that I can't here screaming over the lawnmower.
Last weekend Ashley volunteered to help with the landscaping. Her help consisted of, "Dad, what are you doing? Why are spreading that stuff on the dirt? Why does it not let weeds grow? Why are you covering that stuff with mulch? Why are spreading out the mulch with a rake? Does mulch hurt if you step on it with bare feet?"
I think I'll stick to working alone out there for now.

Tamara said...

So, Elizabeth and I should be helping Adam with that stuff? Huh. Who knew?

Katie L. said...

The funniest part to me was Brandon saying how exhausted he was. I can hear him saying it.