Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Happy Birthdee Lady Coach!


This is the picture I came up with when I google imaged "Lady Coach." Isn't it fabulous?

First, I'm sorry for going all Kanye on your b-day post Courtney but I do have to divert all of our attention for one minute to apologize to Dale. I missed his B-day post b/c everyone was out here for Thanksgiving and I got distracted but I've been meaning to do it ever since. I have a plan though. I haven't forgotten you, oh wisest among us kids. I will post for your b-day on a "specially appointed day" if you will...and I think you will. OK, sorry. Back to you, Taylor Swift. I mean Courtney.

To the younger, cuter version of me. The girl who has already or will tomorrow surpass every accomplishment I ever achieved in my life, why do you have to be so dang loveable? It'd be so much easier on my self esteem if we could balance your laundry list of ridiculously amazing strengths with some annoying trait or another. But you don't even have one. Even your perfection is endearing! How do you do it?

Ah, Coach. Let's recall some of your finer nicknames. Cutsey boots. Corky. Coco (I know, we are not all authorized to use this one, but I thought I'd throw it in for the sake of full disclosure). Shoot shoot, you're cute. Mommies. Curtains. Brothers Sisters Uncles Cousins Niece Nephew Mommies. Am I leaving any out?

I miss hanging out with you. And Felicity. And Thai food during mandatory law school graduation meetings. And sleepovers. And St. Patrick's Day. And Sunday Dinner. And Rice Pudding. And green rice krispie squares. And annoying Star Wars reinactments. And pretend drunken parties courtesy of orange creme sodas in glass bottles. And all of my male neighbors fawning all over you at my apartment. And Moogock. And 7 mile long post-it notes on my desk. And the Alien Baby. And my roommates wishing you'd move in and secretly probably liking you way better than they like me. And the world's most intense kick boxing glass followed by the nuzzle variation followed by a collapse on the floor in convulsions and laughter. And scotch...scotch scotch scotch, down down down, down into my belly. And Andrew's break up depicted in gruesome detail on my whiteboard. And only you and Natalie getting each other's jokes. And the blood drive. And pregnant male platupi. And teaching toddlers to say "Tiffany." And planning Matty's surprise B-day par-tay. And you being the first person I ever turned over full control of my baby to so I could go take my very first post baby nap. And you getting her to fall asleep when no one else could. I love you internally. :)

Mostly I miss you all the time. It kind of makes me want to sulk if I think about it too long. So hurry up and move here. Meanwhile, who remembers another Coach nick-name? Or another awesome memory that will make Courtney snort with laughter?

Happy B-day Coach. We love you. A lot.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Good memories guys...

I need to have my friends log in and post some because apparently my family doesn't have any! You move away for 5 years and everyone forgets about you. Ouch lazerbeams...I can only imagine how it's going to be when I'm on my mission.

Dale said...

Wow, Torney, that was good. Well, since we were all too lame to post sooner, I vote that we start off with our lame excuse for being late, and then carry on.

Here's mine. On Sunday the 27th, I started coming down with a case of the flu. But, I got to go to work anyway. It was special. Then, on Monday, the flu was in full swing. I was at work closing the deal. Then, on Tuesday, Torney's b-day, the flu was yet in more full swing, so much so that everyone at work sent me home. My throat was feeling really nice. On Wednesday, I spent the day on the couch sick. My night was special too. I sent Justin a text so he could share. On Thursday I felt a little better, but still on the couch. On Friday, not so much better. Add to that kids sick with the flu. Today, I feel so-so. So, there is my awesome week.

Torney, you rule. I miss swing dancing with the only girl I could ever throw without throwing out my back. I remember going to Courtney's school events and being older than her teacher. Awesome. I remember going to the mall and worrying people were going to think I was her dad. Thanks for making me feel so young! I remember her being one of the nutcases attacking me as I attempted to go home teaching in Utah. My companion was not sure what to make of it. (Neither was I.) I remember Brandon instructing Courney as to the finer points of drawing Thomas the train. I remember when Courtney gave me a haircut. Actually, I think she cut both of them, cutting short my dreams of a combover. Curtains, we love you.

Matty said...

Well, Coach, my excuse for not posting is not something I should probably bring up. Celebrating my anniversary on your birthday could bring back unpleasant or hostile feelings, so I will not bring that up...wait a second...doh! At least I had Sarah call you and leave you an awesome voicemail. Anyways, Tams I think you forgot to mention another name or two, "the worlds smallest family reunion" and I guess this isn't really a nickname, but should not go overlooked. The electric power that runs through her veins and consequently into any person she happens to touch causing convulsive and spasmatic motions is definitely something that I will not forget. ult...ult...ult... I get some convulsive ticks just thinking about it. Coach, did I ever tell you you are my favorite little sister?...oh...right, used that one too many times. Coach you are awesome. We had some good times up at BYU. Im still a little jealous that I was not invited to the Felicity or Thai food parties...actually I don't really like either of those particularly but still, where was my invitation. Who could ever forget Team Honey. We were o-mazing. That is awesome that you are going on a mission. I cant wait to hear where you are going.

Michelle said...

Dear Court...here's my excuse...world traveling since Christmas without my computer. I am home now...so I am free to post...but instead of older memories, how about this past year when you came to see me in Fresno after he who shall not be named called off the "relationship." You weren't yourself, that's for sure. Nonetheless, you did manage to entertain us by teaching my children that it is hilarious to yell things out car windows at unsuspecting pedestrians. We went to that same movie theater today and the boys were talking about it. On New Year's Day, I had to fax some mission paper that dad needed to sign to your bishop. I may or may not have faxed something else instead...like "this girl is a great candidate for a mission. Her bipolar disorder is mostly under control, except when she sees the color red, which is actually fairly often since most people have red lips and there are plenty of cars out there. She is very easy to be around as long as you don't mind her sudden twitches and outbursts of swear words at 10 minute intervals. She is honest and trustworthy...except that she considers everything "hers" and has no problem helping herself to anything she desires, paid for or not. She is a wonderful cook...as long as you keep the cleaning fluids away from her when she's cooking. She has been known to serve Windex as kool-aid, but as long as you warn all the children not to drink blue or purple kool-aid, it's all good. I highly recommend Courtney as a missionary. I think she will represent our church well. She will definitely leave an impression with young men as she sits on their laps or plants a big smooch on them as she walks by." Yeah, I think the paper said something like that...so you should probably be getting a call any day now! I love you lady coach. Can't wait to see you in a couple weeks, even though I think you are out of your mind for running your marathon...somebody's got to witness the insanity and I'm happy to do it!

j-liz said...

Lady Coach, I texted you on your b-day mainly because the phone reception at the in-laws house in Colorado sucks and I didn't want to call! I called Mom on Christmas and dropped the call 4 times in 15 minutes. That's when I decided no more phone calls.
Anyway, Happy Late Birthday.
Most of my old memories of lady coach are either figuring out how to include her in our indoor sports games (Don't worry Dad, we NEVER played ball in the house) or using her as my wingman to pick up on girls.
My more recent memories of lady coach are reading about all the things she is doing and feeling really old or having he tackle and smother me by rubbing her head all up in my grill. When she visits it takes the kids at least a month to stop asking if she is coming over today.
One of my favorite things about coach is that even though she is hands down the coolest of the laserbeams, she is really easy to hang out with.
Happy B-day, Moms love hugs! And I made you a coupon book of them for your birthday!

Kristin said...

Coach, um, my excuse is I had some unidentified infection in my boobie (aka mastitis) and I wanted to die. But I'm alive now after 7 days of antibiotics and large doses of tylenol and motrin.

I promise you we didn't forget you- we couldn't!! I mean, like you'd really let us, come on now. I'm so glad you have such great friends that can pick up the slack when we aren't there for you : (

Do you want to borrow one of Mackenzie's sports bras when you run the marathon? It'll give you extra support- wait- you don't need that. She got some new ones for Xmas you might want to try out too when you visit this month.

Coach was a trooper and came and stayed at my house for my birthday and took care of my 3 kids for the weekend while Stephen and I went off and played. She taught our wild primary class AND in case you haven't heard the story, it was our primary program that weekend and one of our kids really got physically removed from the program because he's psycho. Good times, right?

I don't know who else could pull off the costumes Courtney puts together- OK let's be honest, no one could. Too bad I don't live near her so I could crash her fun parties! It's cool to have people slightly over 30 at college parties, right??? Guys???

And to second one of Tammy's thoughts, you really are so amazing. You have accomplished so much more than I did when I was your age. I love how strong minded you are and that you are never afraid to stand up for what you believe in or say what needs to be said, even if the truth hurts. I love that WE are the "men" emotionally in our relationships. Finally someone understands me! And I love that I can tell you anything and you won't judge me and I know my secret is safe with you... until I want to tell everyone else.

One of my favorite memories of Courtney is when she was pretty little and the boys (Mark, Matthew and Brett) would tease her relentlessly about being mommy and coach. Remember the mother's day coupon book they made you? "This coupon is good for one hug".

Speaking of hugs, doesn't Courtney give the best hugs? The say she nuzzles herself between your bosoms ... wait... am I the only one she does that to?

I could go on, but a screaming hungry baby is calling me... bad baby!!

I love you Courtney, sorry it took me so long to post some sort of tribute to you. I'm new at this motherhood thing and it's sucking the life out of me! Literally!