Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bed Time!!

Like any vigorous red blooded male, when my sugar tells me she wants me to spice things up in bed, I head straight for the workshop. I just finished a project I've been working on for most of the year - a bed to go along with the dresser and nightstand I previously made. This was my most complicated project to date, and definitely the best executed.


It's made of African Mahogany, with panels made of exotic Pomelle Sapele. I did everything myself. I purchased the lumber from a supplier in PA, and it came fuzzy and rough, so I milled and surfaced it all by my yelf (as 2-yr-old Mac would say).

I veneered the Pomelle Sapele panels myself. It was my first time veneering, and it came out pretty well. You can see that each panel is made up two sheets of bookmatched veneer. The figure on this wood is crazy, and really spiced up the piece a lot.


The side rails and bed support detach from the headboard and footboard so that it can easily be moved in three pieces.

Oh, and Malia is supposed to get equal credit for this project, as she shop-vac'd the sawdust created during final assembly. And the bedding is by Michelle of course.


6 comments:

The Queen said...

That turned out awesome, Rick! But please, no more talk about your bedroom habits. This is a family blog, after all.

Kristin said...

Beautiful Clark!! Your bed now looks like a bed I'd see in a nice resort. Way cool. Hey Michelle, want to come sew some curtains for our house?? I mean I don't have a house yet, but when I do, do you want to?? Your linens and toss pillows are so cute!! We could use your skills, we have a whole house to decorate and I have no skills...

Katie L. said...

Rick, I think I have a couple projects for you if you get bored. Beautiful work! (And nice bedding too Michelle!)

Courtney said...

Dang, I can't wait for you to get started on my bed set. My birthday is in the end of December so you don't have that much time.

Unknown said...

great job! SO... what's next?

-greg

OlsenFam said...

Beautiful bed!