Friday, September 4, 2009

A week in the life

It started out Sunday with our ward getting combined with another ward. All ward callings from both wards were released other than the Bishop and the two counsellors. So, no more EQP.

I believe it was Monday night that I was heading out to my car at midnight. As I got to the car, it would not start. The battery was dead. And, my cell phone was dead. Luckily, security at the building had a portable jump starter. So, they gave me a jump and I got home OK.

The next morning, I went out to take Brandon to school. As we got in the car, it would not start. I was surprised because I thought the jump the night before and the long drive home should have recharged it. WRONG. So, I borrowed my neighbor's cables and jumped it using the Expedition. As I bent down to pick something up, my medicine fell out of my shirt pocket onto the ground. I eventually get underway and realize I don't have my breakfast (instant oatmeal) or my lunch. I then go to the mechanic to have the battery checked. It needed to be replaced. Wonderful. He said it would take 15 minutes. He went to pick up a battery and came back a while later, WITHOUT one. He said apparently my car (Hyundai Elantra) is so exotic that it has a custom battery. It took an hour or two to get one. I finally got one and headed in to work. I was a wonderful day that lasted until midnight and included getting unfairly chewed out and berated in front of a few people for something I should not have been chewed out for.

The next day, I had more fun. I can't remember with what, but it fit right in with the above.

The next day, I had one of the highlights of my legal career. I learned that a deal I have been working on made the front page of the Wall Street Journal. To put that in context, most lawyers will never have that happen in their entire career. I will probably never have that happen again in my entire career. A partner from one of the country's most prestigious firms thought it was so cool that he kept a copy of that article for posterity. So, that was a bright spot in an otherwise painful week. I capped that day off with a celebration that involved reviewing documents and hanging out at the office until 2:30 am.

I followed that up by getting to bed at 3am, only to turn around and get up at 6am to make my 7am Dr. appt. So, it was a special week. Very long. Very tough, but it included one of the highlights of my career. I hope you can see it in your minds and I hope it is beautiful. (Bad paraphrase, but you know where that comes from.)

3 comments:

The Queen said...

Bummer/Congratulations! :)

Seriously, though, that's awesome. I hope you saved one too!

Michelle said...

Um, how bout posting a link to the article...I would like to read about my especially cool sibling in the Wall Street Journal. And, if you need someone to chew out the person who unfairly chewed you out...give me a call. I think the flight is about 5 hours, but I can be there tomorrow. I have no problem letting people have it. It's kind of a hobby of mine...

Courtney said...

Well, misery loves company so here it is...my battery has the same exact problem right now and it's in the process of being replaced.

And, celebration loves company as well so WOO HOO for you! That is so incredibly awesome about the Wall Street Journal. I want a copy of it so I can have proof as I brag to all my friends about my big shot lawyer brother.

Oh, and Michelle...I've got a whole list of people you can get started on here in Provo while you're waiting for Dale to report back to you.