Sunday, September 27, 2009

Where's Marilyn Monroe when I need her?



Kraly stone park. Where do I begin? Where does anyone begin when it comes to the woman who called me in the law school library to sing happy birthday to me in the Marilyn Monroe voice? Or to the woman who taught me all about making my little brothers into cross dressing toddlers? Oh, I know where: Tudy. That's right. I just said it. And I'll do it again. Tudy. And Moo moo. 99 New York. And Moo moo again.

That means I don't want it. Stop playing "guess who." No, Mark will not be joining you in the delivery room. What did the cat say to the rat? And what did the King Lion say to the Mouse Wizard? We'll always have the Barbie Ice Cream Parlor.

Growing up, I always idolized Kristin. She was fearless. She always had the guts to do, say and be everything I only thought of. She's one of those people you'd love to be able to hate on, just because she's beautiful, talented, brilliant, charismatic, etc., but you just can't because she's so freaking hilarious, you're just dying to be around her.

I remember being in study hall in the library at Saugus High when they announced over the PA that Kristin had made homecoming court and before I could help myself, i blurted out "that's my sister!!" I was so proud in all of my nerd magic freshman-ness. And then there was that day that a guy at school came up to me and said "is it true that you are Kristin Lisonbee's little sister?" I told him that I was and then he looked at me half shocked/ half disbelieving and said "Do you think there's ANY chance you'll grow up to be as hot as she is?" If only... Kristin was like some kind of an icon. She practically had groupies following her around.

More importantly though, I know of precious few people on the planet more generous than Kristin. I remember when I had a rather unfortunate incident on my mission and Kristin was the only person I told. I needed some help getting a new pair of glasses as mine had not made it through the incident. I didn't want to worry mom and I knew Kristin would keep it a secret if I asked her to. In no time at all, I received a package in the mail with cute new clothes, a hilarious note, a few new lip glosses and other incredibly thoughtful fun stuff. She certainly did not need to send me any of those things but she did. That is so typical of Kristin. She is always anticipating needs and fulfilling them before anyone has to be made uncomfortable enough to ask. It's no wonder she is such a gifted nurse. Her patients are so lucky to have been cared for by a person so intellectually gifted and so innately compassionate.


Let's talk about how when I got my wisdom teeth out, Kristin hung around at Mom and Dad's all afternoon changing my nasty guaze for me, each time making me look away so I didn't see how yucky it looked. Or how she kept me company for hours at a time when I slipped a disk in my back. I could literally barely stand up on my own but when the doorbell rang, Kristin looked over at me and said "race ya." That's what I mean. She's just so compassionate and thoughtful and she does it all while still being the most hilarious company anyone could ever ask for.

I'm so glad to be the Dad of Kenz. It was a great job for a lot of years and I wouldn't trade that for anything. I so appreciate how she let me be a part of Kenz's life during such an important and pivotal time in my life. She really will likely never know how much I needed that or how important those times were to me.

Well, I'm off to supercurl but I'll make sure and think of you while I'm spastically pretending to be asleep all the while whacking people as I flail my arms to and fro. Try not to keel over and die when you see me walk into the room. You either, Justin. Happy Birthdee, Kraly. Hope it's the best one yet. Mud spot, over and out.

**DISCLAIMER: I PROMISE I REMEMBERED KRISTIN'S BIRTHDAY. BELIEVE ME. I CALLED AND TEXTED KRISTIN AND CALLED MOM AND DAD AND COURTNEY TO MAKE SURE THAT SHE'D BEEN APPROPRIATELY WISHED A HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND THAT HER SURPRISE AND THE ENSUING FESTIVITIES WENT OFF WITHOUT A HITCH. I JUST HAPPEN TO BE A MORON WHO NEGLECTED TO PRESS "PUBLISH POST" ON THIS MESSAGE UNTIL TONIGHT. BECAUSE I'M AN IDIOT. KRALY, BACK ME UP HERE. I STARTED SPAMMING YOU WITH BIRTHDAY LOVE AT O'DARK HUNDRED YESTERDAY. ALAS, I'M SORRY I FORGOT TO GET THIS OUT ON YE OL' INTERWEB UNTIL TONIGHT. ARE YOU MARRIED WITH A KID?

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Seriously Tammy! Where do u come up with these? I can't believe how much stuff u remember from when we were kids. When u get to my age-- your memory isn't gonna be so good. Just a word of caution!

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. Wish all u Texans could've all been at mom's house for the party because you know, it was like a Thanksgiving feast for brunch.

Michelle said...

I actually got to celebrate with Kristin this year. It was fun...although I was disappointed at what supposedly was a rapidly going belly...whatever. Weak sauce it was, I tell you. I have many fond memories of our days at BYU. Perhaps my favorite is the horrid smell of ranch corn nuts being breathed on me on our plane flight and in the airport. Kristin lived in the dorms and I would go over and see her. One cold day, there was no parking and there was no way I was going to walk that far, so I parked in the head resident's spot. Not my finest idea. That lady didn't like Kristin and Mahele too much and she FREAKED OUT!!!! Then there was the time Kristin dyed her hair black and later went to touch up the roots but somehow it didn't work. I had to help her "fix" that which was fun since I knew nothing about hair dye either. I appreciated having someone up there who hated Utah as much as I did (no offense all you Utahans, but a Cali girl is a Cali girl...)

And, what would we do without Kristin turning Psycho on us and calling her kitty for entertainment. Poor thing...(the kitty, not Kristin). In highschool, Kristin had about 50 different laughs that made me laugh so hard I'd cry...and not much has changed. I spent the entire time I was in Dallas with her doubled over because my stomach hurt from laughing. Never has there been someone so totally inappropriate and hilariously funny (although Courtney definitely rivals in that department).

I was glad to spend Sunday with Kristin. It has been a large year. Though I always knew it would work out, it's still nice to have it done with. And Stephen took awhile to get here, but I think Kristin would agree that he was worth the wait. So happy birthday Kristin...now feed that belly of yours so we have something to make fun of. You are planning on doing the pregnant lady dance right???

Matty said...

Kristin, it was so kind of you to try to teach me from such a young age how to accessorize and to dress so colorfully. Unfortunately you taught me with girl clothing and accessories so I had to block that out of my mind.

Kristin, remember my little spanish project where I had to use adjectives to describe each one of my siblings. Of course you will remember that I called you bonita. (You can just ignore the other one. We're all friends here right?) I am never sure which of the older siblings I owe the "Oh, you are a Lisonbee" comments to, but I am sure some of that can be attributed to you. I had an experience similar to Tammy's. I do actually remember having someone come up to me and say are you related to Kristin Lisonbee? (Keep in mind everyone, that this was coming several years after she had graduated.) After I said yes, they said something along the lines of, Are you sure? Because you don't look anything like her. She was totally hot. I think I started high school somewhere around 4-5 years after Kristin had graduated. That means the person talking to me had never even been in school at the same time as Kristin, but somehow they knew that she was totally hot and I was...well...not.

On another note, life can bring you some interesting challenges. And anyone that knows Kristin knows that she has had to go through her fair share. That having been said, she is a pretty amazing person. To see what she has been able to accomplish is pretty special. Mackenzie will probably always be the favorite neice or nephew because she is such a fun person to have around. She is a little version of Kristen running around. Being a parent myself, I know how difficult it can be. I can't imagine some of the struggles that Kristin must have gone through in raising Mackenzie, teaching her, and working to provide for her. You are a pretty amazing person Kristin with an unconquerable spirit. Life has had its ups and downs, but you always seem to work your way through the tough spots and make the easier spots pretty fun. I am having trouble thinking of a specific instance right now, but I have always thought of Kristin as a very generous person. I know there were many things that she shared or gave us when we were kids. Kristin you are pretty awesome. I am so happy that you were able to get everything taken care of so you and Mackenzie could move to Arizona. I am sorry we could not be at your surprise party, but something about a wife that is 8 1/2 months pregnant that made it a little difficult. I love you Kristin. You have taught me a lot, even if I am not as hot as you either.

Kristin said...

Ah Matty, I love you too-- I love Michelle too! But what Matthew omitted from his spanish homework story was that he called Michelld and Tammy "muy intelligente and bonita"... Kristin was referred to as "muy tonta"! That's right folks. I read the papers with my own eyes!

j-liz said...

That is hillariious. Some good stuff on this b-day roast!

j-liz said...

That is hillariious. Some good stuff on this b-day roast!