Monday, July 28, 2008

Hungry Hungry Hippo

On Friday morning at work, I was in the kitchen around noon heating up some lunch. A girl walked in (who I think is a new secretary) and said....(wait for it).....

"Wow. You must eat all day."

Yes. She really did say that. Granted, I had eaten a burrito around 9:30 and then a nectarine around 10:45. So what! I was hungry. I replied, "Yep." Then there was awkward silence, so I said, "I'm nursing a baby, so I think I'm allowed to eat as often as I'm hungry." I thought maybe she would laugh.

She didn't. More awkward.

So, nursing mothers (or soon-to-be) - here is to eating so much that people call us pigs.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Ha ha. What a weird thing to say...I mean, really. What good could have come out of that comment?

Tamara said...

Somedays I wish I could sign the world up for sensitivity training...for any number of reasons.

Courtney said...

I eat a burrito and nectarine as my appetizer for breakfast and I'm not pregnant or nursing. If I were you I'd tell that woman that next time she has a comment as unwarranted as that one that she can keep it to herself instead of wasting the oxygen necessary to share it.

Dee Lisonbee said...

i think that new secretary needs to find herself a new hole to crawl into - I, myself, am a fan of eating, you, and nursing mothers not necessarily in that order but I hope you first told her to find someone who cares and then served yourself an extra helping of anything and everything nearby ---- all in the interest of feeding that darling little Sarah