Thursday, July 31, 2008

Never EVER take "no" for an answer...

One of the things I learned at some point in my adult life is that if somebody tells you "no," there's somebody above them who will tell you "yes," if you persevere enough...So, I've made a practice of doing that when I feel so inclined. You all remember the broken basketball hoop? Well, the driver denied breaking it. So, Rick called the supervisor who said he'd look into it. When he didn't respond quickly enough, I set an appointment to meet me at our house to see the damage. He said that from the way it was bent (the steel pole was completely bent at a 90 degree angle), something had to have hit it from about 8 feet in the air. But, he also said since there was no evidence on the trash can of being scraped or anything and the driver denied it, there wasn't much he could say about it...except that it's agains code to have a basketball hoop on your sidewalk. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. So, I filed a claim with the city. And, they offered us a settlement! They're paying us $116 for a replacement hoop. Meanwhile, thanks to matty, I found a hoop on freecycle and we already have one. Nonetheless, it feels like a victory to me. Then, my nursing application. I noticed there was one class that I didn't have an exact match for...Sociology 1A. Since I graduated in Social work with a minor in psychology, I figured something had to qualify. So, I went and stood in line for 2 1/2 HOURS at the counseling office, only for some jerk of a counselor to tell me he wouldn't look at my transcripts and he couldn't help me if I didn't have an exact match. That brought out the "Screw you" part of my personality, so I contacted the Dean directly. I made an appointment, brought in all my transcripts, pleaded my case and won! Which means, I will officially be sitting on the wait list instead of taking a stupid sociology class! Little victories make me very happy...So, if there's an irritation in your life, remember, someone above the peon will tell you yes. There are reasonable people out there...you just have to look for them.

7 comments:

Tamara said...

I agree. Adam and I have been fighting insurance companies over a little matter of a $1,000 deductible and it takes an enormous amount of persistence and perserverence but someone gets the job done after long enugh. Thank heavens for tenacity!

The Queen said...

Oh my gosh I can't believe I forgot to call you to see how that went! I am glad that it all worked out for you!

j-liz said...

Good work. Sometimes I think at least 50% of the difficulty of any degree or certification is the stupid hoops you have to jump through just to get in. I think they do it on purpose to weed out the masses before they even get started.

Robb said...

I'll make sure that I stay on your good side!

Dee Lisonbee said...

Michelle you were born with that same attitude and I can tell you that as an adult it is amazing and wonderful --- as a teenager, not so much

Katie L. said...

And this is why we come to you with all our problems. Because you can ALWAYS think of another way to solve them. You have brought it upon youself you know.

Mandolin said...

This does not surprise me about you at all! I remember this same type of behavior/attitude in the mission field and just reading this post really makes me miss the good ol' Tejas days! I can't believe it's already been 10 years. HUH? Crazy!!!