Thursday, June 7, 2007

thatta girl

I found out at the Doctor's office yesterday that I gained about seven pounds. I was so excited when I saw the number on the scale that I asked to see exactly how much I was last month so I could chart my improvement. I didn't gain any weight last month, and I think in total I had only gained two pounds for the entire pregnancy. I was pretty darn proud that I finally "popped." Sure, I don't want to gain seven pounds EVERY month, but one big hurrah is okay, right?

So anyway, I met the "doctor" for the first time today, because before this I had been seeing the Nurse Practitioner. Besides getting all crazy about some other issue (which I will not discuss on a BLOG, but really, everything is great), he then said, "That's not good" when he saw the seven pounds. I was expecting to get a "thatta girl," but NOOOOO, he had to be all weird about it until he looked at the rest of my chart and then told me I was fine. Well GUESS WHAT. I KNEW I WAS FINE TO BEGIN WITH. How long do you have to be a doctor to figure out that you should know something about the history before you go scare a poor little first-time pregnant girl.

I love my nurse practitioner. I want to keep her, not him. And I've also considered buying a reliable scale, blood pressure monitor, urine thing (can't I just use those pool slips?) and baby heart beat monitor so I could do my own monthly checkups, because sometimes I walk out trying to figure out what they did that I couldn't have done.

Dr: Your uterus is right here
Lisa: Really? I had no idea; I thought it was some kind of alien growth in my belly
Dr: That's right where it should be, at your belly button for 20 weeks
Lisa: You're JOKING. The thing I read said that it should have fallen to my thigh by now
Dr: Are you feeling movement?
Lisa: Of course
Dr: That's good
Lisa: Really? I thought that was bad. I thought I wanted a sedentary baby.

Of course, the sad part is that nothing I just repeated was ever said aloud from my mouth. That would have been much more entertaining.

ANYWAY. Things are great - we'll have a gender update (HOPEFULLY) on Friday.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

7 lbs.? Amateur. Now, if you can gain 7lbs. in one week, then you can compete with yours truly.

Katie L. said...

Dear Lisa,
You are going to have to do a whole lot better than 9 pounds in 20 weeks to get a "thatta girl" from me! Keep eating honey!