Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Bombers, Burgers and Babies

For your next installment of "you know you're in Texas when..." we bring you the 4th of July. Better late than never, right? Adam and I decided to keep the tradition alive so we went to a Rangers baseball game for the fourth. So first to the Bombers. The bomber above is just a snapshot I took from my weak sauce little camera but it turns out it's got a good zoom. This plane swooped right across the stadium during the national anthem. It practically floated across the sky, so graceful and pretty. Just awesome. I'm not going to lie. I may have gotten a bit teary eyed...or maybe it was just allergies.
This shot is another cool memory. Before the national anthem, 120 airport recruits were marched out on the field and stood along the first and third base line. They were about to ship off in the coming week and there they were on the fourth of July. Their commander stood at home plate and there they all raised their right hands and took the oath of the airforce. As they marched out, the entire crowd was on their feed and applauding. I saw many grown men all around me who appeared to be suffering from the same "allergies" I was feeling and many a tear was wiped away as these little guys who couldn't have been much older than 18 promised to sacrifice their lives if called upon. That little plane that the guy was sitting in was right behing home plate. It's a replica but evidently pretty close to the real thing. Texans are so patriotic. It was nice to be in a place where people were just proud and happy to stand and honor their country and those who defend it. I almost liked them gall durned Texans for a minute.
And here's Daleums and his kiddies. He invited us over to grill some burgers and chill with the kiddos. This is us moments before sitting down to our 4th of July bounty. Dale also invited us to watch fireworks with the kiddies the weekend before the 4th. It's always such fun to see stuff that can become mundane through a little kid's eyes. Plus, how do you not love a little girl in a tiara?!? ANYWAY, I thought I'd throw in that Adam and I promised to go all out on 4th of july and bring the homemade ice cream to the barbecue at Dales. It totally would have worked except that when we openede our brand new ice cream maker on the morning of the 4th, we read the instructions and found that you have to put the "freezer block" in the freezer a suggested 6-24 hours before beginning to make ice cream. Did anyone else hear the Clark W. Griswold symbols crash in the background? Because I sure did. That's all for us folks here in Texas. See ya'll later!

3 comments:

Tamara said...

Yeah, so I can't read or write. As I'm sure you guessed, they were air force recruits...although they probably will spend some time in airports so I award me full credit.

Katie L. said...

I know you love Texas, you might as well face it and get over your denial!

Michelle said...

Okay, is it me or was 4th of July like A MONTH AGO? Come on people, keep us updated in REAL TIME! Thanks for your help Clark.