Friday, December 7, 2007

Apparently, it isn't rude....

Matt and I seem to get a lot of telemarketers calling our house. I usually don't answer, but when I do, I always seem to have the weirdest conversations. Here's the one from today...

guy: I'm calling about your discovercard. Would you like to be enrolled in the identity theft protection program?
me: no.
guy: you mean, you don't want to be protected for up to $25,000?
me: no
guy: well, what about...
me: I said no, so that means we can stop talking about it (making sure he didn't actually have something important to say about my account - my dumb)
guy: well that's my job mam, I'm a telemarketer. if you didn't want to talk, you could just hang up.
me: oh, I thought hanging up would just be rude
guy: no it's not
me: okay, fine.

click.

4 comments:

Tamara said...

That is HILARIOUS!

Courtney, can you confirm that it's not rude to hang up on a person who calls others as their job?

Courtney said...

Tammy I don't really want to think about that chapter of my life. I've been trying the last 6 months to surpress all memories of it. In answer to your question though, I would consider it rude because for me "a simple no would have done just fine" but for Mr. I can't take a hint...hanging up is obviously the only way to end the phone call.

j-liz said...

Lisa, as a new homeowner not long ago I can relate. That said, having been a telemarketer for 91 days (90 day signing bonus) I didn't mind the hang up. It beath the heck out of yelling and cursing.
The only problem with the hang up is that it often doesn't count as a contact and your number can go back in the queue. I recommend saying no once or twice and if they keep talking then hang up. Keep in mind that telemarketers can often get back at rude customers. When someone would swear or threaten me instead of putting them on the "Do not call" list I used to put them on a callback in 15 minutes list. My litte way of sticking it to the man!

Courtney said...

Ha ha justin I would do that too!