Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Gardening tools...


What? Not everybody uses drills to plan tomatoes? Yes folks, these are what I use to garden. I have always wanted to plant vegetables. So, this year, our circumstances permit it...we have enough space, and spots where the plants will get plenty of sun. So, I bought some plants and then went out to plant them...I could not get down more than two inches in that DIRT. The locals call it "hard pan." I call it cement. Our dirt is so hard, you literally have to get a hammer drill with a mack daddy drill bit to drill a hole. Mind you, even with that, the hole only goes down like three inches or something. Then, you get the biggest regular drill bit you have and drill holes in the side of the hole for the roots to grow into. I gave up after like 8 or 9 plants and bought some pots and planted some of the tomatoes/cucumbers/basil in the pots. That way I didn't have to break out the drill bit. When we have some tasty tomatoes this summer, I'm going to be glad I did this. But for today, I'm exhausted!!!!!!

4 comments:

Tamara said...

Dude! Rock ON! I'm gonna need to consult with you re: gardening. I way want a garden but I'm kinda scared to start one.

P.s. where did you learn all of those power tool words?

OlsenFam said...

I'll look forward to some tomatoes. Gary uses his drimmel tool to carve a pumpkin..

Katie L. said...

Wow, that's intense. I have come to love planting things, but our soil sucks too. It is pure clay, so there is no nutrients and it is either to dry or drowns the plants. I've lots many already. I do (or did) have a pretty snowball bush, which I noticed was budding this weekend. I'm sad I'll miss the blooms this year. Last summer I had a basil plant that went nuts, we ate lots of pesto.

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh, that's crazy! It's hard to find good soil that's pleasant to garden in. The soil in El Paso was basically rock and the soil here in Dallas is like really thick pasty peanut butter... it amazes me how anything can grow in it, it's so thick! Good luck with the tomatoes, it sounds fun!!!