Thursday, June 12, 2008

Cherries anyone?


This week and last week the kids and I got to go pick cherries at the orchard of a friend of a friend. The cherries were just falling to the ground because they didn't want to pick them. COUNT ME IN! They are Ranier cherries (white cherries) which are a mother's dream...no purple stains all over the kids when they eat them. They are in season right now so they're about $2.50 a pound...and we got them FREE! Some of them I froze for future use...cherry cobbler, cherry jam, etc. and we ate a few bags full of them. A friend of mine said she liked to freeze them on a pan and let the kids snack on them. So, I put a pan in the freezer to have for snacks later. Then I noticed throughout the day, the pan was slowly getting less and less full of cherries...and then the culprit. Carter and Malia. They were "sneaking" cherries all day. Jokes on them...that's what they're for. I just kept refilling the pan and they "sneak" snacks all day! I hope we get to pick peaches in the next couple of weeks...that same orchard has a lot of peaches and nectarines that aren't quite ready yet. Yummmmmm.

6 comments:

The Queen said...

Those bad boys are 6.99/lb on sale at Vons!! They look so yummy!!

Lisa said...

You lucky lucky girl. My parents have a cherry tree and my mom kept telling me that I could come participate in the "harvest" and someone it seemed to come and go without me going over to pick some!

Katie L. said...

They look good! Do they have pits? We had red cherries and the kids didn't like eating them. It may or may not have had something to do with the fact that we told them if they swallowed the pit it would grow in their tummies and come out their nose and ears...after which Ashley covered her mouth and started to cry saying that she had already swallowed one, and she didn't want it to come out her nose. Anybody know a good therapist?

Carrie L said...

I adore cherries! Especially those white ones! I decided next year I'm going to can some because, let's face it, this year it ain't gonna happen.

j-liz said...

I know what you are all thinking. And before you un-nominate me for the Day-of-the-Year award, and automatically assume that it was me causing this trauma, just know that it is not fair to make such assumptions.
In this particular case, your assumption was correct.

Stephanie said...

Those look tasty. Did you remove the pits one by one out of the cherries that are in the baggies?