Tuesday, June 24, 2008

More from Nana's visit...


The thing I love about cousins is that they act like they've never been apart...they just pick up where they've left off.

Friday morning we took a trip to Fresno farm. There were horses, sheep, pigs, cows, etc. I think our favorite was the tiny pigs and the tiny sheep. The little baby sheep must've been born within hours of us coming. They were so little. It was HOT HOT HOT, but all was made good by a trip to the creamery where we bought cake batter ice cream and some fresh corn. Fresno State is known for their corn and it was DELICIOUS.

We did our very best to wear Nana out. We were coming and going constantly. I didn't want the kids to be bored. We went swimming every day, thanks to some generous friends who let us come swim whenever. We did some shopping at Costco. I introduced Nana to the most fabulous grocery store ever--Winco. It's cheaper than Food 4 Less and not nearly as ghetto. Their produce is tasty and it's CHEAP! We went to Maggie Moo's and to this fabulous candy store. They have all the old school candy like "Watchamacallit" and stuff we ate as kids. They have every color M & M's even turquoise and peach and pink. It's a great store. Oh, and the best might be the gelato.

Of course, a visit to Fresno wouldn't be the same without a bottle of "Rat Bastard root beer." What is that and why in the world did Rick buy it? I have no idea. He said it tastes like regular root beer. He liked the bottle so he washed it out and he's going to keep a collection of weird root beer bottles at work. Oh, and during this trip, Rick was hot one day so he decided to shave his head...

Everything else around here is going smoothly. Jake has scout day camp this week and he's having fun at that. I think today we might all go...they provide a "sibling day camp" for the parents of kids who want to help. So, I think I will go hang out with Jake and let the other kids go to the day camp. We'll see. And, we are going camping next Monday. We're going to a lake about an hour from here. We're going with a number of families and each family is responsible for providing a dinner and a breakfast for everybody and then we don't worry about it for the rest of the week. It sounds like fun. It seems very well planned and we're looking forward to it...so, that's it for here...

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Bella looks SO TALL in those pictures!

WinCo is wonderful. A lot of people around here are too snobby to shop there because it's across the street from BelAir and it definitely comes with a different crowd, but WHO CARES!? It's nice to never look at ads and be able to shop consistently in one store and know that it beats probably all other prices. (The no-union thing must help.)

PLUS, the other day when I was there I had my purse in my cart and I stepped away to get some bananas. I was watching the cart, but not close enough. A WinCo worker stood right by it and said that she was worried and wanted to make sure nothing happened. I could've been alarmed at such a high risk of theft, but instead I was just pleased that someone "had my back."

I would like to see some baby farm animals.

That's the end of my disconnected thoughts. You're welcome.

Tamara said...

That trip looks like so much fun. I can't wait to see you guys again. Hmm...when will my baby be ready for her first trip to Fresno?

Katie L. said...

Rick, what happened to fancy? You couldn't buy fancy Root Beer? Okay, I think Rat Bastard root beer is more funny. The kids look so cute, and so big. It is going on a year since I saw them, and longer for Kenze. I can't wait until August! You better not cop out on me!

jennifer said...

that is one great rootbeer bottle. jeremy, matt, robb and jared would surely love to own a bottle like that. i'm diggin' rick's shaved hair-do - perfect for summer in fresno.