Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dad: The Freaking Genius Father

I have been thinking a lot about Dad lately. Seeing how I am a fairly new husband, a new father, and a new homeowner...I have had many things that have made me think of him. I mean, really, what can't he do. He built on the addition to our house. He did the electricity and the heating and air for the additoin. He can fix everything in the house. He has always maintained the yard and dug out the clay in our front yard with a little (and I mean a very little) help from his boys that seemed to take hours to find their shoes, tie them, and get outside to help. He has turned our backyard into a fruit producing paradise. He knows everything about repairing and maintaining cars. I was driving around in a Mazda that was like 15 years old with over 360,000 miles on it in the horrible Utah weather, and I was never concerned about the car because I knew dad gave it a nice checkup and inspection everytime we came home. He sure knows how to get a good deal on a car. What can't he do really.

I have daily reminders of how great he is. I look out the window into my back yard and I see my grass dying in several spots and think, what would dad do about that. I get into my nice car and remember what a great deal he got for me. I go through a drive-thru and use the power windows that roll down by pressing a button and think, I am so glad that I did not get the cheaper model of my car because Dad convinced me to get the nicer model for a very small amount a month more. Every time I go and get my oil changed I think, Dad never paid for this kind of stuff. He is too smart for that. Yesterday we had some friends over for dinner and they were telling me about a bunch of different improvements that they had to make on to their house because the bought a fixer-upper and to each one of the things they said, I thought to myself, yeah, I have seen my dad do all of those things. He is pretty much amazing. The thing that I appreciate the most, however, is something that I really came to appreciate while I was on my mission. I saw so many good kids and nice people that would come to church sometimes but that were not really active and not really committed to the church and to the gospel. In every case, either, no father was present in the home, or the father was not a member of the church, and in a few cases he was a member, but he was inactive. I have often thought about that and reflected on that. And as I look back on my youth, that is one constant that I can always remember is that we went to church on Sunday. I am so grateful that we were tuaght our whole lives that we go to church. It is so easy to see that everything good in my life has come through the church and living the teachings that we have been taught. So Dad, not only are you a completely amazing person, but I want to thank you for being such a great patriarch and example in my life. We love you Dad. You are awesome.

So...I am not sure how often Dad looks at this blog, but I figured mom could in charge of getting him to look at the blog.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Well said Matty. I think that a lot of the problems with adults in this world is that as children, their dads weren't "dads" at all. They were absentee males who walked in and out of their lives. I'm thankful that dad is a constant. I hope you have a happy father's day dad. Wish we were there to celebrate with you. Can't wait til our camping trip. My boys need some fishing lessons...

j-liz said...

There are so many great things about Dad. Matthew, I recall shortly after having Emma very similar thoughts about Dad. Just being amazed at his ability to find that balance of Father, Church Member, Professional, Homeowner...I can honestly say that the amazement grows the further down the road that you go.
Now that I have four kids I often feel that there is no way that I can keep up with their needs. Then I see Dad's example and I realize that I am struggling with less than half the load he took on.
I have always been impressed with Dad's ability and committment to act under the influence of the Spirit. His first thought whenever there is a questions is to pray. And from then on he follows the promptings. Speaking from experience, I know he was inspired in his interaction with me growing up.
And on a humerous note, we all have Dad to thank for the countless jokes and random expressions. For example, does anyone else now you "dadgumit!" when they are angry? How about describing a bitter taste as "that would make a rabbit slap a bear." And of course one of my favorites (generally descirbing a UCLA quarterback) "He couldn't it a bull in the butt with a hand full of popcorn."
So Dad, thank you for being the best father we could ask for. I probably do not communicate my respect and appreciation for you near enough. But please know, that as I read the scriptures about the great patriarchs of old, I am proud of the one that I have and would not trade for anything.

Katie L. said...

Larry,
Happy Father's Day! Having my Dad gone now, I think often about how lucky my children are to have a great Papa, and I wish we could take advantage of that priviledge more often. I miss seeing you hold and interact with my children, I treasure those pictures of Camille asleep sitting up in your hands. You are a great patriarch and we are blessed to have you around! I hope you have a great day and get some good hugs from my kids sometime soon!

Dee Lisonbee said...

Matty - great job and what a wonderful tribute. There is nothing that makes all the effort worthwhile like hearing your kids look back fondly over events in their childhood during which you were the good guy not the village idiot so - thanks to all who choose to "roast" dad - it really meant a lot to him.

Tamara said...

I am totally on board. I have tried to post on this a couple of times and just couldn't quite find the words. I guess I love most that Dad taught me to follow the Spirit...that he helped me learn to recognize it and understand what it was trying to teach me. I don't pretend to be anywhere near as good at that as he is but I do think about ways he tried to illustrate that for me all the time.

I also adore how dad cracks himself up, how he can fix anything and how he never lost that child-like enthusiasm for the little things in life and that it shows all over his face when he's excited about something.

Plus, he is the man who brought us classic lines like "Holy Freak, would you look at the stars" or "Don't Think." You're the greatest, Dad. I love you and am so lucky to have you.

Courtney said...

Thanks guys, you took everything possible I could have said. Psych, it's Dad we're talking about...I definately have a few more!

Telemarketers call multiple times during dinner and each time Dad gives his very best attempt at staying calm as he tells them it is rude to call during dinner time. Around the 5th call (which was a different telemarketer by the way) Dad picks up the phone and says loudly "WHAT DID I TELL YOU PEOPLE ABOUT CALLING DURING DINNER" and then proceeds to slam the phone repeatedly against the counter.

That memory is ALMOST as fond as this next one... As most of you will remember, Mark's favorite past time when I was little was pestering me. One of his primary ways of doing this was asking every 5 seconds if I want a hug. (And yes I recognize I am the one doing this these days but at least it's directed towards adults that don't throw temper tantrums that drive everyone else up the wall). Well anyway, one day he had been quite persistant in his efforts to get a hug and Dad had had it. He walks in "Mark, I am sick and tired of your (then impersinating him in a mocking tone) 'Wanna hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug?'"

Ha ha, excellent times brought to you by Lare-dog :)

Dale said...

Not really sure where to start or stop here. Dad, thank you for doing so much with so little. When I think of the start you had, or didn't have, I am absolutely in awe. If there ever was a mortal person who exemplifies so many of the key attributes of his immortal father, it is you. Your parents were less active much of your life. Of all of the members in your immediate family, the word stalwart comes to mind about only one of them. Your steady, unwavering faith fuels mine. Your wisdom, honesty and integrity are attributes I strive for. I remember growing up how kids would talk about not being able to talk with their parents and I was baffled. I always considered you one of my very best friends. Thank you for instilling in us a desire for a testimony and showing us where to get it.

My only request is that if we ever fly together in a plane again, you let someone else be the tail gunner.