Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Missing firsts and stuff...

So, naturally, I was freaking out about going back to work and one of the problems I listed was missing the "firsts." My mom told me to keep in mind that I might miss the firsts anyway.

Last night I put Sarah down to sleep. She was fussing a little but sometimes she just cries for a a few minutes before falling to sleep. (Note: against all advice, I put her down on her stomach. If you would like to discuss that, you can wake me up in the middle of the night when I'm cranky and I'll tell you about it.) Anyway, she was crying softly for a little longer than usual and I felt like I should go in and check on her. She was lying there, on her back, having rolled over for the first time, with a look on her face that made me laugh. Her eyes were wide and she was looking at us (I called Matt in) as if to ask what in the world happened. Poor girl. I got her back to sleep and put her down again. An hour later I heard her cry. This time she had rolled over and was kind of tilted on her side with her back against the crib bumper. Again, she couldn't figure out what happened. Thankfully, this only happened twice last night. I seriously wondered if this would be a major problem for us (so, any suggestions are welcome).

Sarah has finally rolled over, and I've missed it - twice. The Mommas are always right.

6 comments:

Carrie L said...

I think babies purposely do it when you're not looking! I always count "the first" as the time I see it. How exciting!

Tamara said...

Yay baby Sarah! Already an over achiever.

j-liz said...

Nate is still working on rollng over. He has had a few successful turns but he spends much of his time battling his nemesis...gravity.

Michelle said...

Ha ha, little fat nate can't roll over...Jake had similar issues. I'm glad you got to be there Lisa...firsts never get old. They're just as fun with each kid.

j-liz said...

I agree with Michelle, each time you have a baby it is exciting to watch them learn and develop. After a couple years you kind of forget so it's always a surprise to see the progression. And contrary to popular belief Nate is getting good at rolling over, he can roll either way, front to back or vice versa. It does take him a couple tries and he often gets his arms pinned...
--Kate

Lisa said...

Good thing someone is there to stand up for Nate! I was surprised to hear that he hadn't since Sarah seems a little late (I'm not worried). I mean, how can you learn to roll when you spend most of the time lying on your stomach crying about being left on your stomach!?!?!