Sunday, October 28, 2007

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

I just wanted to thank you all for being so socially graceful to me.

It seems that I have the same conversation with everyone I meet and it's making me feel like a science experiment. "Still pregnant?" "I told you you'd go over." "Aren't you mad at the doctors - telling you she was going to slide out and now, this?" "You look like you're going to pop." "No baby yet?" Of course, you ladies who have been through pregnancy can all attest to the absurdity of someone saying, "still pregnant" when you are walking through church with a big belly and no baby in your arms - besides the fact that you're AT church in the first place. But the absurdity is new to me, and all the comments are getting to me. Can someone just tell me that my hair is pretty or ask what I think about the presidential primaries (fyi, I don't think anything about them - but still...).

Or how about this. Sometimes, if I don't answer my phone, I find out later that my mom had to field a call from the caller who thought that maybe I was in labor. My poor poor mom. My sisters started to complain about all the ladies in my old ward asking daily if the baby is "here." I didn't know they dealt with it too. The 13-year-old asked, "Don't they know that we'd probably tell them if the baby was born?" Thank goodness for her social competence.

Oh yes, but to my point. You, of all people, deserve the most to know what is going on with my life and yet NONE of you do or say the things that annoy me. So thank you for trusting me to tell you when the baby comes rather than freaking out if I don't answer my phone. And when you do call, thank you for just checking on us and not saying something about how I look. You are a wonderful group of people....

3 comments:

The Queen said...

Yeah, I think with Emily I changed the message on our phone to something like, No we're not at the hospital. No, I have not gone into labor. No, I haven't had the baby. Leave a message. Thanks. I think that's what I did. If not, I really wanted to. :) Oh, and your hair? Gorgeous.

Stephanie said...

uhhh... Lisa, please veto that comment in the email I just sent you. Love you!!! :) and your hair IS gorgeous! Love the curls!

Mark said...

It is all part of the experience. You guys want something that you can be proud of...RIGHT? Just remember, it's the holidays and we are all in misery. Plus, if the pregnancy lasts another five then that would be a really nice surprise there MATTY/CLARK.